Skip to main content

Coming Clean

Hi guys,

I know I haven't posted in a while, and while I could blame it on being in San Diego and not having time to blog while I'm enjoying myself; I have to come clean. I've been in a depression for a little while now. I was excited for my vacation to see my sister graduate from college, but that wasn't enough to pull me out of my funk like I thought it would. I had to admit to myself that I'm frustrated and disappointed that I'm not losing as much weight as I thought I would by now. And things are tight for me financially right now, and that's an understatement. But, I'm so close...

I'm close to accomplishing some important goals in my life. My book Confessions for the Narrow Road: It's Within You, is about to be published in a few months and I'm so excited about it. I feel like I'm wrapping up one season in my life and about to open a new chapter as a published author, where I am promoting my book and enjoying being out there, making a difference. I believe wholeheartedly that my book will change the lives of those who approach it with anticipation that they can begin to make new choices in their lives and that it starts with them. The book has changed my life and it's not even out yet. I remember feeling really depressed one day and I knew I had to review some of the editing work that the publisher had done which required me to actually read some of the book. When I did, I was so encouraged by those words I had written, with some help from the Holy Spirit, that I came through that night feeling better and with more hope.

I really want to focus on bringing the book into correctional facilities, and starting a regular meeting around the devotional until we finish it. I want to see people gain perspective on the choices they make and that it's in their hands and ability to choose life! See as I write these words I'm encouraged and I remember what's driving me. I want my life to count. I want to make a difference. As I remember that, it's pulls me out of the funk I've been in long enough for me to get a grasp on what I'm doing, what I want and how I intend to get it. I'm not helpless. I have to learn to ask for help instead of expecting others to be a mind reader and see me struggling to tread water and ask if I need help. I need to speak up.

Back to the weight issue. I'll be honest, I started losing weight, about 13 pounds and I was ecstatic. Then a week went by and I got weighed at the hospital where I was getting my foot looked at (I learned that I have a bone spur and it's very painful - worse when I'm on my feet all day - which did contribute to the depression). The scale said 311! I was shocked, but calmed myself down by the fact that it's a different scale and may not be accurate. Well I went home and weighed myself and it said 314 and I nearly had a panic attack. What was happening! I thought I was doing so well. It was like a kick in my gut.

I had to come to terms with the fact that setbacks may be a part of this journey to lose the weight. I realize that I am sort of fighting an uphill battle because the meds I take for bipolar disorder actually cause weight gain, which is how I managed to gain 175 pounds in almost 6 years...granted I can't blame it all on the meds. I did struggle with overeating and eating too many sweets. I'm still struggling with that, but it's getting better. I weighed myself two days ago and I was back down to 307 pounds. I was encouraged that I am still going the right direction and I can't be too hard on myself when things don't seem like they are working out. I am determined to lose the weight and I'm determined to keep creating healthy recipes. I've created a few in the last two weeks and if I can remember what I did, I'll post them.

Today I'm choosing gratitude. Life may not be easy right now, but I believe it will get better. I'm grateful for friends and family. I'm grateful for opportunities. I choose hope...maybe you can too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daniel Fast Days 19-21

Daniel Fast Meal Plan: Days 19‐21 Note: Many of the foods you’ve tasted have been combined in different ways that you may not have had before, and this time will be no different. You may realize that you’ve got little bits of this and that left over in your fridge, freezer and pantry and now is the time to pull those things together and create some new meals. There shouldn’t be much that you’ll have to spend this time. The words God gave me as I prepared this meal plan were “nothing wasted” and that this was to be a completion and final celebration of what is remaining. Often times as God works with us, we find that there has been some pain as He’s removed some things from us, pruning in order to shape our character and cause it to flourish. Well, this meal plan is a symbol of that experience, that even when God removes things, He doesn’t waste our experiences and He makes great things out of what is left over. So, as you use your leftovers, celebrate what God has done in this fast, th...

Daniel Fast days 4-6 Feb 20-22

Daniel Fast Meal Plan: Days 4‐6 (Feb 20-22) Note: The recipes for the first few days of the fast focused more on detoxifying the body and thus it was necessary to allow the smoothie and the soup to do just that in the body. The next three days focus more on enjoying the complexity and vibrancy of some of the foods that God intended for us to enjoy. As you prepare the meals, allow your heart and mind to enjoy the discovery of creating something new. You will discover that there is a complex unity that emerges as you taste, what may be, new combinations for you and new textures. Even if it is unfamiliar to you, I encourage you to think of each meal as a culinary adventure and be willing to take the risks. My hope is that you will find a new joy in preparing and eating the range of healthy, colorfully vibrant and completely nutritious meals from God’s garden. Breakfast for Days 4‐6: Fig & Banana Smoothie, Pecans (1/2 cup) Fig & Banana Smoothie (Serves 1)  1 Banana (chopped)  4 ...

Daniel Fast Days 13-15

 Breakfast for Days 13‐15: Fruit Medley (~1 cup) & Almonds (½ cup) Fruit Medley  1 Nectarine  1 Pear  ½ cup Cherries (~10) Instructions: Remove the pit of the nectarine and chop into smaller chunks. Remove the core of the pear and cut into smaller chunks as well. Remove pits from the cherries and cut in half. Combine and allow to sit for 15 minutes before eating. Lunch for Days 13‐15: Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Hummus (½ cup) with Avocado and Vegetables (1 ½ cups), Matzo (½ sheet), Pineapple and Citrus Fruit Mix (1 cup) Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Hummus  4 Garlic Cloves  ½ Red Pepper (large chunks)  1 can Garbanzo Beans (no salt added)  ½ cup hot Water (2 Tbsp for sesame paste, remaining for beans)  Juice of ½ Lemon  ¼ cup Sesame Seeds (make into paste – see instructions)  3 Tbsp Olive Oil (1 Tbsp for roasting, 2 Tbsp for blending in hummus)  1/8 tsp Black Pepper  1 tsp Fresh Parsley Instructions: 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 1 tbsp olive oil with garli...