Skip to main content

Beginning the journey as the Determined Chef

Hello Everyone!  Welcome to my new blog, the Determined Chef Chronicles. I am on a journey over this next year to lose 100 lbs and create 100 healthy new recipes that I will use to help me with my goal. I will chronicle my journey and share the ups and downs, as well as any books that I use to help guide me through this process of losing weight.
I will weigh myself once a month, maybe twice, to track my progress. I will also post photos showing my transformation. I started working out March 7th using the Easy Workouts app, which has me doing crunches, push-ups, leg-up crunches, squats, high knees, lunges, bicycle crunches, and plank with leg lifts. I should mention that I do the girl push-ups and I know I don't do the planks the way they do, but it still works my glutes, which is what matters to me. My hope is that as I get stronger I can graduate to getting to do those two exercises the way they show it. As much as possible I work out every other day. In addition to the fat burning exercises, I also ride a stationary recumbent bike for 15 minutes. It takes me about 40 minutes to complete the whole workout.
Okay, so down to the details that matter. Over a period of almost 6 years I have more than doubled my weight! I'm not happy about that. I recognize that the medications I take for Bipolar Disorder are the main culprit for the weight gain, but I also recognize that I eat too much at times and not always the healthiest foods. I weighed 310 lbs as of March 7th! SAD! However, what matters is what I'm doing about it now. I have a plan and I'm determined to stick to it.
Now for the fun part...100 recipes in 1 year! I am going to post photos of the food and tell you the basic ingredients to give you the chance to try it on your own, but I'll save the actual recipes for the cookbook. Yes, at the end of March 2020 I will put everything together as a cookbook including a fun journey to losing the weight. I will be researching different books on being healthy, eating healthy and treating the whole person. I will post suggestions based on what works for me, granted every person's body is different and may respond a bit differently, so I want to hear from you what is working and what is not.
A little background about me...I graduated as valedictorian of my class at the Pennsylvania Culinary Institute in 2007. I've always loved to cook. I trained at the Biltmore Estate for a year as part of my externship for culinary school. I worked part-time as the Chef/Assistant Innkeeper of a bed-n-breakfast near Asheville, NC. I also took several years off to raise my daughter and then to manage my illness and struggle with Bipolar Disorder. I returned to the field in 2016 and eventually worked my way up to a full-time job at a nursing home. My passion is to cook and create healthy, fun and tasty recipes for people to try and enjoy. I love teaching people how to cook. As part of this blog I may do some teaching videos...we'll see :)
For now, I'm determined to lose the weight and have some fun creating new recipes in the process. This is my goal and I hope you will join me on this journey. I'm interested in your input, questions, suggestions, etc. Let's make this a conversation that leads to some great outcomes, not just for me but for YOU as well.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Your Determined Chef - Loretta Fralin-Rapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daniel Fast Days 19-21

Daniel Fast Meal Plan: Days 19‐21 Note: Many of the foods you’ve tasted have been combined in different ways that you may not have had before, and this time will be no different. You may realize that you’ve got little bits of this and that left over in your fridge, freezer and pantry and now is the time to pull those things together and create some new meals. There shouldn’t be much that you’ll have to spend this time. The words God gave me as I prepared this meal plan were “nothing wasted” and that this was to be a completion and final celebration of what is remaining. Often times as God works with us, we find that there has been some pain as He’s removed some things from us, pruning in order to shape our character and cause it to flourish. Well, this meal plan is a symbol of that experience, that even when God removes things, He doesn’t waste our experiences and He makes great things out of what is left over. So, as you use your leftovers, celebrate what God has done in this fast, th...

Daniel Fast days 4-6 Feb 20-22

Daniel Fast Meal Plan: Days 4‐6 (Feb 20-22) Note: The recipes for the first few days of the fast focused more on detoxifying the body and thus it was necessary to allow the smoothie and the soup to do just that in the body. The next three days focus more on enjoying the complexity and vibrancy of some of the foods that God intended for us to enjoy. As you prepare the meals, allow your heart and mind to enjoy the discovery of creating something new. You will discover that there is a complex unity that emerges as you taste, what may be, new combinations for you and new textures. Even if it is unfamiliar to you, I encourage you to think of each meal as a culinary adventure and be willing to take the risks. My hope is that you will find a new joy in preparing and eating the range of healthy, colorfully vibrant and completely nutritious meals from God’s garden. Breakfast for Days 4‐6: Fig & Banana Smoothie, Pecans (1/2 cup) Fig & Banana Smoothie (Serves 1)  1 Banana (chopped)  4 ...

Daniel Fast Days 13-15

 Breakfast for Days 13‐15: Fruit Medley (~1 cup) & Almonds (½ cup) Fruit Medley  1 Nectarine  1 Pear  ½ cup Cherries (~10) Instructions: Remove the pit of the nectarine and chop into smaller chunks. Remove the core of the pear and cut into smaller chunks as well. Remove pits from the cherries and cut in half. Combine and allow to sit for 15 minutes before eating. Lunch for Days 13‐15: Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Hummus (½ cup) with Avocado and Vegetables (1 ½ cups), Matzo (½ sheet), Pineapple and Citrus Fruit Mix (1 cup) Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Hummus  4 Garlic Cloves  ½ Red Pepper (large chunks)  1 can Garbanzo Beans (no salt added)  ½ cup hot Water (2 Tbsp for sesame paste, remaining for beans)  Juice of ½ Lemon  ¼ cup Sesame Seeds (make into paste – see instructions)  3 Tbsp Olive Oil (1 Tbsp for roasting, 2 Tbsp for blending in hummus)  1/8 tsp Black Pepper  1 tsp Fresh Parsley Instructions: 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 1 tbsp olive oil with garli...